Sunday, March 17, 2013

D1 401k, Summer S&C & Evolution Baby

Just so its out there again, these opinions and things I write about our mine and do not represent the other trainers and instructors affiliated w/Blue Chip.  They may or may not agree, you'd have to ask them.
Just putting that out there just in case something nutty pops on the screen and I forget to erase it :)


-----------------------------------------------------------------

Its St. Patty's Day and I have a feeling very few of you will be reading this today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

SO!
Ive been a little nostalgic lately, it happens around certain times of the year I guess.  We probably all go through it from time to time.  And the television has been very... helpful?  If that's the right word.  I taped the Fab 5 documentary the other day and finally had time to watch the entire thing, 2 hours long but actually felt like 30 minutes.  What a story.  For those of you who aren't quite sure who the Fab 5 were (and that's weird to me if you don't, but again... I'm getting OLD!), they were 5 freshman who started together at the University of Michigan in the real early 90's.  Back then, starting freshman was pretty rare and starting 5, I don't think ever happened, which was one reason why it was such a story.  The other reasons were because they changed they changed the college game.  They changed the shorts, the socks, the behavior and gave the youth of the time their team.   Back then I wasn't much of a college basketball fan, but when I saw Chris Webber play, I became a fan.  They were cocky, fun and exciting to watch AND they won a ton of games, but never a title.  Most memorable game was probably their loss to UNC in the championship when Webber called a timeout but didn't have any, forcing a technical foul and lost by 4-5 points, I forget.

A few years later I read a book about the team and everything they went through, from the racism they dealt with, to going from the ghettos of Detroit (Jalen Rose) to the big time college game.  The part that has always stuck with me and changed how I saw college sports forever was a story about Chris Webber needing a few bucks for gas. 

Think about that before I go any further.  Think about the college game that you know now.  Think about everything you see on television and the jerseys you see for sale.  Think about the ticket prices and the concessions sold.  Think about how a big college team supports the local economy and everything it involves all year around.  That's huge, huge money.  Millions and millions of dollars.

Chris Webbers jerseys were being sold for $75.  Nike started selling black socks because he wore them.  Other teams were changing the length on their shorts because he (they) did.  But he needed gas money. 

Do not say "They are/were getting a free scholarship."  How much does that cost or did cost then?  $10,000/year?   I truly don't know, but I do know Michigan's merchandise sales went from 1.5 million the year before they came to over 10 million after their first season.  So lets see here... 5 kids... $10,000 per year x... lets say they did decide to stay all 4 years... that's about $200,000 give or take.  Which is about $9,800,000 less than they earned for the school, JUST ON MERCHANDISE.  Crazy, huh?

College kids, on big levels like U of M are exploited.

The answer? 

A retirement plan based on % of ticket/merchandise/overall profit that the athletes see at a certain age.  Maybe some type of 401k plan that forces them to invest their plan and let it grow as they get older, with options to pull from it when they reach a certain age. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    
Currently writing up some summer plans regarding High School Strength & Conditioning.  Strong possibility we'll be adding classes to the Power Room schedule
Potential Schedule/Rough Draft
Mon
Agility, Jump & Conditioning 4:30-5:30
Power Yoga Plus 6-7

Tues
Beginners Yoga or Slow Flow 6-7
Blue Chip Training Camp 6:30-7:30


Wed
Strength, Agility, Jump & Conditioning 4:30-5:30
Power Vinyasa 6-7

Thurs
Ready, Set, DANCE 6-7
Training Camp 6:30-7:30

Sat
Training Camp/Power Plus 8:30-9:30
Strength, Agility, Jump & Conditioning 9:00-10:30

Just looking over that rough draft now... If I'm a high school athlete, I'm ALLLL over that schedule, every single class.  I'd attend both Monday classes, the training camp on Tuesday, as many as possible on Wednesday, training on Thursday and training on Saturday. 
Like everything else, count on it being very affordable.  Talk to your coach now and get your team involved.

 
 
And I like to day dream about things that some people think is silly or impossible or will never happen.  Its a long shot, but I emailed Eric Thomas co about getting him to Lake County.  Its probably a 2-3 year goal but possible.  I just need to figure out the finances.

-----------------------------------------------------------------    

On any given week, including groups and classes and teams, I talk to about 150 people or so, and the conversations are usually always about progress and change and they're motivational and inspiring.  This week the words CHANGE and EVOLUTION and GROWTH were hot topics. 

So often, for whatever reason, people fear change.  Maybe because its the unknown.  You can say or think "i want to change this," but in the back of your mind you wonder what will happen.  So I never use the word change.  I do think the word feels abrupt and like a 90 degree turn or a 180.  I like "evolve." I prefer a nice bend in a certain direction vs slamming on the brakes and turning a hard left.  I know its a perception thing but think about diets.  Some just say "No, this is my change, this is what I'm doing," and change everything.  A few months later, they slowly creep back to their old habits.  Maybe because the change was too extreme, maybe it was forced and unnatural, whatever the reason, it didn't stick. 

That year I reference where I lost 100lbs.  I cut everything and ate the exact same meal 6 days per week.  Was it extreme?  Yes.  Did it work?  Yes.  Did I lose it at some point and gain some weight back?  Yes.  Because it wasn't a very functional, natural way for me to live.  Now, I'm much more at ease and my nutrition is very natural and stress free.  It evolved as did my vision. 

So think about those words:  CHANGE, GROWTH AND EVOLUTION
My philosophy is to just keep it moving in a positive direction.  Do some people need a drastic change?  Yes, if their lifestyle is dangerous or hurtful, and even then, there is a risk in going back to old habits.  Habits that we are looking to shed take time, the way a snake sheds its outer skin.  He doesn't do so by sitting in one place and thinking about.  He sheds by moving forward and keeping it moving towards the goal, inch by inch. 

We're all changing and theres nothing wrong with it.  If you work with love & truth and stay positive and you're helpful, your evolution will be long lasting and will even inspire others.   

Side note:
The word evolution always make me think of two things, Pearl Jams song "Evolution," and my book collection.  No matter what little gadget is invented, I'll always enjoy owning books.  I like to cover art and the unique texture of the pages.  If you buy used books, there may even be some notes or highlights from a previous owner.  That's authentic.  You cant get authentic on a kindle.
Anyways, I look at my books and if I put them in order of purchase... its pretty interesting, maybe :)
Growing up, once I got into basketball, Dennis Rodman was my guy.  I loved those Piston teams and watching Rodman was just the best thing Id ever seen.  And this was "pre-freak," Rodman that we all know now.
When he went to San Antonio, the freak was let loose and things got really fun!  So his biographies are in my collection and his first book was one of the first books I actually cared to read and didn't put down until it was over.
In a very odd way, his book set a lot of things in motion, because after reading his book, I had to read Phil Jackson's books and then I had to read David Halberstams boot about MJ "Playing for Keeps," which is probably the best sports book Ive ever read.  So in depth, so intense, so "live," you feel like you're right there in practice with the Dream Team or on the team bus.  Great, great book. 

But Phil Jackson's books were the centerpiece and his style changed me.  Opened me up to thoughts I always had but didn't put to use.  Changed how I coached because it let know "no fear," and to be yourself.  Imagine working with 30 young boys, ages 14-18 and you want to introduce meditation.... not easy and could easily be rejected with some jokes.  But I always felt coaching young men lacked a softer, more mindful quality.  Football was/is all about hitting and aggression and it got mean and nasty sometimes.  I wanted to slow it down and think a little more.  I wanted to teach life skills in the football environment.  To teach them to see their own successes before they ever developed.  To teach critical thinking, to teach remaining calm in a storm.... think yoga helps develop that skill?
 
Did my "goofyness," assist in their 10-0 season?  Maybe not.  Will it assist them in 10 years?  Id like to hope so.

From Phil I found Deepak, Russel Simmons, Thich Nhat Hanh, Dan Millman, and Hunter Thompson.
(WHAT THE...?!  How did Hunter sneak in there???  That's another story, but actually referenced in nearly every blog.)


But the above authors were my Psych 101 and Philosophy courses.  If you get some time, I highly recommend Hanh's "The Art of Power," Russel's "Do You!" and anything by Deepak.  Anything by any of them really is worth your time if you're looking for something different. 
Remember that one time I said "Some people are so good, its hard to believe they're real people," that's Thich Nhat Hanh.  Hearing him speak or reading his books, makes you wonder.  A perfect person.

Thich Nhat Hanh on Amazon 
"Do You!" by Russell Simmons on Amazon
Dan Millman on Amazon

----------------------------------------------------------------- 

A lot of requests coming in for Nicks nutritional services and I HIGHLY recommend this.  In my opinion, people know how to train hard, they know how to run, but something that we often do not know or think we know but don't, is how to grocery shop, how to plan meals, especially when raising a family.  Give Nick a call and schedule your consult.  Do not procrastinate.
Phone: 216-269-5942
Email: spotlightnutrition@gmail.com
Check out his page on the Blue Chip site: Spotlight Nutrition

----------------------------------------------------------------- 

Someone asked me about my marketing and promotions and about my business approach and philosophy.  This is where those books and their philosophy comes into play, from Simmons to Deepak to even Rodman.
I've never sold anything. If anything I've talked people out of purchasing and steered them to smarter purchases.  I've presented options.  Even when I worked in gyms, I never tried to actually sell a membership.  I presented what the gym could do, what it offered, what the prices are and if any deals were going on and they made their decision.  Could I sell cars or something random?  Possibly.  But I know I couldn't for a company where I didn't know where the money was going or if it was piece of crap product.  I wouldn't be able to sell a crappy car and I wouldn't be able to sell a car to someone couldn't really afford it.  I need to know my efforts are going to something I personally believe in, all around.
 
My philosophy is to work hard at developing ideas  (classes) that I think people will enjoy and find useful.  For instance, the Tuesday night class will not only be an outstanding class, it will also teach people how to workout throughout the week, especially when the weights are set up.  I'm 100% confident, we'll be doing things we've/you've never done at a level you never thought you could, getting results you didn't think possible. 

My marketing is create an image for the logo
so that when you see it, you know what it means.  My goal is for it to represent a standard and to build trust.  If there's a class going that is a Blue Chip class, you'll know theres a very good chance its a great class.  If I post a check in at a local company, you'll know theres a very good chance that company is a great company with great customer service.   If a trainer is wearing a new Blue Chip T-Shirt, they're a great trainer (not the old T's and not downtown). 
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 
I like playlists with emotion and enthusiasm and explosions.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- 
I know we all come for different reasons, but for my own practice, I don't understand Yoga without an element of Zen/Buddhist philosophy. 

This Is Blue Chip