Monday, July 8, 2013

Tick, tick, tick....

com·mit·ment  

/kəˈmitmənt/
Noun
  1. The act of committing or the state of being committed.
  2. Dedication; application.
Synonyms
obligation - committal - engagement - undertaking

----------------------

For whatever reason, this word is greatly misunderstood by a lot of us.  Maybe not misunderstood but definitely undervalued.

Something sparks in our mind and we have an idea... From there it either sputters out or we communicate that idea in one form or another.  We write it, we say it, we tweet it, we text it.  The process of communicating it can be empowering and usually helps us remain committed to the idea, but not always.
Why?
Why do our great ideas fade and we continuously stay where we are rather than evolving by committing to our idea which usually means some changes in habits?

Lets back up a step, because we cannot talk about commitment without talking about goals.  The "why?"  There's something we see, something we feel, something we need, whatever it may be.  A goal, an ultimate objective.  It can be anything. Jim Rohn said "The ultimate reason for setting goals is to entice you to become the person it takes to achieve them."  Think about that....
That quote is saying you're not that person right now, because if you were, you'd already have that particular goal.  It's algebra.  You're already at "X," and you need "Z," to make it happen you'll become the "Y."  How?  By committing.  By evolving. 

"To entice you to become the person it takes to achieve them..."  Such an exciting statement.  
It feels like travel.   I want to Montana... I'm in Ohio... What will the road be in between?  What weather will I drive through?  What will the roads be like?  How will I get there?  Am I prepared?  Do I know where Montana is?  

"To entice you to become the person it takes to achieve them."
It feels like education.  I want a college degree.  I believe I have the dedication needed to achieve that goal, but I know along the path, I will gain a higher degree of dedication.  The process and path towards a college degree will force an evolution inside me enticing me to become the person it takes to reach my goals.

I'm going to run a marathon.  I am in the process of training for this.  Can I do it now?  No.  Today I am not that person but the process of committing, I will become. 

I'm going to lose 40 more pounds.  I am in the process of doing this.  I will become.
I'm going to get to 12% body fat.   I am in the process of doing this.   I will become.
I'm going to write a book.   I am in the process of doing this.   I will become.

These goals need commitment.   It's not a hobby, it's a change in lifestyle and habits.  
I don't really see the word "change," anymore, evolution feels much more comfortable.  "Change," feels like we're saying: I was wrong, I need to change.  "Evolution," sounds like: we adjusted improperly, and we're readjusting.  Change feels right vs wrong, evolution feels like fate.

So back to the top... Why do we let those words fade away?  We know the goal is important to us... We say it, we write it, we think it.  But the commitment fades and it's strength isn't enough.  

Is the goal not important?
Maybe we don't really care as much as we thought we did?
What if your life depended on it?  
Think about that.... What if your life completely depended on achieving goals.  If you achieve, you stay.  If you don't, you're gone.  Isn't that how your job works?  Work and achieve, or you're fired.  We accept that.  But we don't have that same mindfulness at home.... Or in our lives.   That's the problem, we think we always have tomorrow... And tomorrow and tomorrow.  
But someday, our tomorrow's will expire and we'll run out. Pause.... Let that thought sit there.... Look around your life and know, without a doubt, you will be gone someday...  Will you have a list of memories and achievements?  Or a list of regrets and things you wish you would've done?
The clock is always ticking... How committed are you?




This Is Blue Chip