Monday, April 27, 2015

Oh, the things I hear...

Q: "Look, what are we doing??  Is this going to make me a body builder?  Am I going to get BIG??"

A: Meeting a trainer once or twice per week isn't going to make you BIG, nor is a well planned program (program means nutrition as well as all elements of training appropriate for your goals). To get BIG, you need to lift in a very specific set/rep scheme for MONTHS while increasing calories.


Q: "So protein wont make me BIG and bulky?"

A: No.  Only a designed program with you following it will make you big and bulky.  Generically, failing in your sets between 8-12 reps is the sweet spot and like I said above, months on end of this scheme plus taking in an extra 500 calories (ish) of clean nutrients than your body/metabolism is already accustomed to.
The function of proteins is to help the body build an repair, not only your muscles but your hair, skin and internal organs.  Proteins are the building block for our entire body and is needed to help keep the body functioning at an optimum level.  I share this fact because too many people associate protein with the "BIG and BULKY," feeling.
It's science and facts, not opinions and feelings.  


Q: "But I work out, like, a lot, why do I look the same?"
A: Let me see your program.
Q: "I don't have it written down."
A: Then how do you know what you're doing?
Q: "Well I use this machine, then I walk for bit, then I use that machine thingy over there...

A: Anyone can buy a membership, walk in and "work out."  If you're actually trying to make changes and see real results in mirror, you need to take it more seriously.  We don't say "well... I kinda drove to work..., I pulled out, then I bumped into this, then took a random left turn, then I turned around and pulled over for a bit..." No.  We know where we're driving, so we know which streets to take to get there.  We have a plan.  And even then, sometimes to the plans need to change just as our drive to work might, but remember, just because the plan has to change, doesn't mean the goal does.
I recommend researching personal trainers in your area and purchasing a few sessions to learn a routine, learn how to use the equipment properly and figure out a plan/program.


Q: "Ya Bro, my fricking knees are killing me when I squat, whats up with that?"
A: Let's see your form.
He drops his hips, knees poke out way over his toes, his heels come off the ground, one knee is tweaking out to the side,  and he's pretty much bending over.
This didn't actually happen, but I see it CONSTANTLY.  I even have a friend that works in an NCAA D1 program and he still tells me how many freshman come in with no clue how to squat (good job HS coaches).
Without going into a 5 paragraph "how to," here's an easy test.  Walk up to a wall and place your toes about 1/2 inch away from the wall.  Now squat without touching the wall.


Speaking with a local wrestling coach
Q: Yoga?  Yeah we did that when we were younger but called it stretching."
A:  Never mind the money... I'll come in for free.  Here's the bet:  No tricks, no gimmicky crap, I bet you more of your guys quit and flop during yoga than they do during your conditioning.
Never heard back from him.
If you say "Yoga's not for me," I'd say you probably don't know what yoga is.  If you've never taken a class, you're probably intimidated or worried about "not looking cool."  If you have and still say that, I'd bet you were just in the wrong studio, wrong instructor or the wrong you showed up.  Even for you tough guys, a decent yoga class can show you many muscular imbalances that can greatly improve your training in the weight room, while improving your flexibility, concentration and overall body strength in many stabilizing muscles you may not be addressing otherwise.

(If I can get 10 power-lifters to join, I'll run a month of free sessions, around your current schedule, for a case study).  

This Is Blue Chip