Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Ever see a ufo?

Ever meet a guy that thinks humans are aliens?
Ever meet a guy that swears he's seen a ufo?
He may start to tell you his story and you can really see it in his eyes, he believes it. 
And you may say "hey man, you're full of shit, right?"
And he'll say "I was there, I know what I saw."

-----------

A lot of conversations have flown my way in regards to a studio and yoga.  I'll be honest, it's made me daydream a little. 
Haven't let myself do that in a little while.  
I started hearing playlists again. Started seeing flows in my head.  Even in a kettle class recently, something happened and we transitioned into a yoga flow. 
But w yoga, I always wonder things. 
I wonder if my clients can tell (or know) how much yoga is layered in...
And I wonder what that means or who else knows "yoga layered in..." The text-book yogi would babble "there's yoga in everything."  Hey yogi, you just lost half the audience, ssshhh. 
(This ones already loaded w irony)
I always want to tell a story about a "class I ran."  But the memorable classes, I didn't run.  We showed up, the music hit, my energy went like this, your energy went like that, and it combined to be something of memory.   Those light, the heat, the small room, it was just intense.  That scenario, I knew 100% what could happen w the right music.
Text-book yogi will babble "music is a crutch."  I would respond "You are boring."  Music is an ally.  It can be a reminder.  It can be a friend or a teacher. It can be relative or a partner.  Some of my favorite moments in life, I compare to guitar solos.  There were so many classes where id create a playlist on Sunday night, then 30 minutes before class, a few people wander in and I'd go "new playlist," scramble into the lobby and fiddle w my little iPod thing, walk in right at the start, "high plank," and hit play.... And we're off and flying.  
I want to say "my yoga was _____," or something like that, but that's tough. Even in personal training, it's not me, it's the energy of the combination.  
Here's something I'll admit: that playlist I mentioned.  The day or two after, I'd run a class in another facility and use the list and try to duplicate class... Never worked.   Not once.  The same flow never came out.  Same music, same me, but things happened and it went somewhere else.  The energy didn't mix the same, it can't.  
Genuine cannot be recreated.  
Live guitar solos.  I have probably 30+ versions of live recordings of Even Flow by Pearl Jam.  An average fan or just a guy would go "the guitar solo," and think it's just Even Flow.  But every single solo is different.  It might start the same, might end the same or similar, but none are the same.  Same guy, same song, different version.  (Another scary thing to admit: you could play a few seconds of one and I'd know "oooooh, Seattle 2013.")

High plank.... And breathe... Hands right under your shoulders... A little movement in your toes.  Maybe rotate your head, neck around a bit, and just get comfy in this. ... .... .... Right hand is going to stretch straight ahead, stretch out and reach for the person in front you.... Left foot, just raise it up 2 inches, just 2... And get comfy in this.... Just breathe.  
Slowly, carefully, set them back down... Bend those elbows just an inch... Now another... And one more... And slowly drop to the ground. 
(It's Kanyes "runaway," instrumental.  I remember the first time I used it, near the end of class, someone whispered "I fucking love your playlists..." That was pretty much the best thing I could've heard).  
Just for shits n giggles, hit the link and give it 30 seconds http://youtu.be/L-a_051LYck, just to try to feel the 88 degrees of the room. 

So thumbs under your arm pits... Toes into the mat... Bring your thighs and hips up just an inch, just off the mat, stick your butt up... Now press through your palms, high plank.



I need a room, private and intimate.  Low lighting, high heat, big speakers and the energy. 


This Is Blue Chip