Sunday, July 9, 2017

Without A Dragon...

I was working out this am.... nothing major, just kinda moving in and out of some things, trying to loosen up and relax a little.  Stressing the body a bit physically, getting the blood pumping usually prods my brain to get cranking and my day is ok.

But its hard.  I have a mental distraction that I don't know when or if, I'll be able to shake it.

I've been a certified personal trainer for... 9 years, and active in high school weight rooms with strength and conditioning for more than 12.  So movement, nutrition, multiple elements of health and fitness, its always been close to me and a tool to help point some direction towards a search for answers and education.  If you've been around the last 6-8 years, you can see the entire picture of what my intent was while trying hard to hide behind a logo or business.  The nutrition talks and info, the yoga, outdoor boots, personal training, the podcasts/books/docs that are recommended on the site, its all pointing in the same direction... a place of self awareness and self education, to help you be a better leader, mother, father, brother, student, athlete, sister, manager, coach, on and on.  The more in tune you are, the more self awareness you have, the more you strive to learn new and old, the more honest you are, the better you're going to be for yourself and everyone you come in contact with.  It's just how it goes.  Because you cant dive into all of this and not emit positive, helpful energy.

So in my process and becoming obsessed with all of this and trying to funnel information, some hear it, some dont.  Some take it and run with it, some dont.  In the beginning, those that didn't, bothered me.  I'd spend hours and energy thinking about them.  Why dont they work out?  Why dont they enjoy this?  What am I doing wrong that they arent seeing the benefit and how this will lead to a healthier, happier life?  Like I referenced when speaking about teams I coached in the past, I blamed myself for losses.  I always said "I should've found a way to do more," and losses bothered me endlessly day after day.  So this field of work, is that times 20.  Because I'm not just working to win a game on a Friday night (trust me, that's still a goal), I'm working to make sure whoever is doing the grocery shopping at home, knows what theyre doing.  The goal is that whoever the leader is now plus the future leader, is equipped to think and research and also filter through the bullshit.  Its a job.  And thats the #1 problem.

I always felt home changed when mothers went to work.  As society shifted in the 80's to early 90's, more and more households went from single family income to a need for dual or even more.   So while there was once one person who oversaw the grocery shopping and meals for the  family, and that being a full time job in itself, that role was now minimized to barely a part time job.  Something that was handled in spare time and/or on the fly.  Meals were made in more bulk or quantity so that there was leftovers to save some time on baseball night or something along those lines.  This is where marketing tactics sunk their teeth in and went to work, selling products with nearly zero positive nutritional value.
Think about this and the things you know... when a slice of watermelon is left out for a few days, what does it do?  Rots, right?  Rots, grows mold, goes bad, within 2-4 days usually.  This is the case with most actual foods.  But when you go to the grocery store, there are aisles and aisles of food that doesn't go bad at all or if it does, its 60-90 days down the line... how can this be?

Over the last 35 years, same time frame I gave above (single income to dual), we have seen increases in breast cancer, prostate cancer, autism, obesity and earlier stages of puberty (among other things).
How and why?

One idea of the "how," is that the United States in one of the only countries that doesn't test chemicals independently (meaning not tested by the company that makes them) prior to usage.  So the tests are done, but only to make sure no one immediately dies.  That is a fact.  Our foods, our clothes, the air we breathe, chemicals all around.  We have products here in the US being sold to us, while the company that makes it, produces a non-toxic version for countries in Europe, where there are tougher, more diligent testings and laws.  How can this be?  Why is our own govt not protecting us?
Yes, we have agencies who are supposed to be overseeing safety levels of x, y, and z but....
...The "why?"  C'mon, you know this answer.

 
And this is the saddest thing ever... our health, our families health, kids health, has been hijacked, bought and sold, and you may choose to not believe that or even think about it, but it is 100% true.  When you start to watch documentaries, read or listen to podcasts, you'll find some things that might bother your thoughts on how you see society and this countries politics in regards to our health care system and the level of honesty in which information is shared.

You have to know and accept that you are responsible for the quality of life you will live and you're also in a great position to influence everyone you care about.  Understand the pros/cons of everything around us and dont be afraid to unplug from the norm.
Move your body.  Walk or jog or run.  Meditate or yoga or float tank.  Stress your body to grow a little, to strengthen yourself.  Eat as organic as possible.  Enjoy life with a free, clear mind.

The mental distraction I referenced above... its dark and menacing... the teams "losses" that kept me awake are nothing compared to this.  Honestly, I'm not entirely sure I want it to leave... I think I need it to keep me sharp and fighting... to keep me motivated and alive, on the mission... it's my dragon.

The number one person I had to teach, to help, to guide into new thoughts and a new way of seeing her health and a future, I couldn't do it.  There was something I was missing... and I should've been able to find a way to do more.

I'm not going to hide, I'm not going to keep quiet, I'm going to continuing pressing fwd and going after anyone or anything that endangers the health of our families.
We're better.  We deserve better.

This Is Blue Chip