Sunday, November 2, 2014

Yoga starts 11/6 - FAQ

Where is it and when is it?
Starting this Thursday, every Thursday at Everybodies Gym in Chardon.  Unlike the other classes I run, this one will be in the group fitness room.  Try to be there a few minutes early to get situated and get comfy.
6:30-7:30


What do I need to bring?
I recommend bringing a water for sure, then you'll need a mat and clothes that you can move in uncomfortably. People have worn umbro shorts and those were a little stiff, but the typical yoga pants and some running pants are fine or just a pair of shorts will work perfect too.  Guys, mesh shorts work fine.
A towel if you think needed.
Don't worry about shoes, you'll be kicking those off at the door.
I'll have a couple mats with but it's first come, first served so probably best to bring one just to be safe.
If you're not a member, you'll need $6 (members are free).


Am I ready for this class?
In my opinion, a plank is the best way to measure if you can take this class.  If you can currently hold a 20-30 second high plank, you'll be ok.  It will be challenging, but that's why you're coming anyway!   Dont worry if you cant touch your toes, you'll be getting there much faster than you think.
If you have any low back issues, take it slow and stay within your limits.  Good news, given the nature of this class, we wont be transitioning through very many "up-dogs," and once you see why, it'll make sense.
At the beginning of every class, I'll ask "Does anyone have any injuries I need to know about?"  Speak up.  Areas of concern are always shoulders, knees, back and hips.  I'll keep an eye out and make sure you're safe.
If you're pregnant and new to yoga, I do not recommend this class.


Who should take this class?
I'd say... everyone.
If you're trying to drop weight, if you're interested in improving flexibility, increase overall body strength, loosen up the hips and shoulders, improve core strength and endurance, correct muscular imbalances, breathe better, if you're looking to improve your overall balance... in and out, if you need to improve your mindset and mental focus, have more control of your emotions, have an improved outlook, be a better communicator and leader, reach life goals,
No joke... dive in and find out.


Is this a boring, slow, stretch class?
Someone asked me this the other day and a kinda cocky answer accidentally flew out, "Do you know who's teaching it?"
Beginners, don't be scared.  I have an excellent base in proper mechanics and body movement, so we will not be putting ourselves in any positions I feel are unsafe or often performed incorrectly.  Safety is always #1.

For those concerned if this a boring waste of time... I get it.  When I dove in a few years back, I had no clue what to expect.  I kinda thought it would be a little hard but thought "I'm strong, I'll be fine, I'll get a good stretch in."  All that was true... plus all those attributes I listed in the last question.  At the time, I was playing a lot of basketball and working out.  So I went in with the intention of stretching my low back and hamstrings.   Then in that first class my hips and glutes were cramping up so bad, it triggered a smarter way of training because the imbalance was so clear to me.  So for lifters, this class is going to show you some of these same things.

Because of all the balance work and focus "exercises," that I found in yoga, my basketball greatly improved.  My focus was better, my balance increased very, very quickly, my movement improved dramatically and my endurance increased.  I've always good feet and coordination and was in decent shape, but yoga helped fine tune and move more fluidly.

Like I tell everyone, whatever it is you do, this class will help you do it better.  Doesnt matter what is, this class will improve ___(fill in the blank)    .








btw... no fluffy music.  You'll hear Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Doors, some country, some rap, some Explosions in the Sky, Modest Mouse, Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, 80's, 90's, 2000's, John Mayer, Angels & Airwaves, Mogwai, Bright Eyes, Chili Peppers, and ummm maye some Pearl Jam.
Also, I take requests so shoot them over... trust me, you're going to want to rock in here.

This Is Blue Chip